Friday, September 2, 2011

This is the view from the Piazza where they have a market every Friday morning. We went this morning and it was amazing. There were fresh fruits from nectarines and pears to gorgeous apples. They sold cheese, prosciutto, shoes, clothes, rugs, scarfs, and even shampoo. It was so fun to see all the locals gathered together and so many people gathering in the city. I wish we had more things like this in Austin!
 A view of the cathedral and the rolling hills of CF at dusk. I can't imagine what could be better!
 This is the courtyard at Santa Chiara which is the name of the school where I am which was an old convent, that I mentioned earlier. It is absolutely amazing to sit out here at all times of the day because even when the sun beats down into the interior, the shade of the screens makes it so comfortable. We sat all of this afternoon and watched the sun go down in the hills. The air here is indescribable. It smells good. There are also 3 turtles that live in the courtyard and every once in a while you can spot them coming out of their hiding places to come eat. They have become a part of the Santa Chiara family. 
 The view outside of my room. Although it is not the hills that some of my friends from the other side of the building see, it is wonderful because it is so authentic. The colors of the shutters and the flowers that the people plant outside of their windows makes the street so vibrant and fun. facing the other way you can see the cathedral and the bells ring at precisely 7:30 every morning for at least 5 minutes. It is a gorgeous wake up call even if I would love to sleep longer. 
 This is my bed! Small and bare but the there are 2 other girls in my room and it is actually quite cozy. I put up some pictures of family and friends. It is funny because this morning when I woke up, I rolled over and placed my hand next to my face to find a picture laying next to me. It was my daddio; I felt like it was a sign that he was right next to me! Puppy came too. :) The rooms have no air conditioning and it gets pretty hot during the day. At night we open the windows and there is a really nice breeze but we can often hear vespas and italians talking at night!
A view from the Loggia. The Loggia is pictured below.
 The "three arches" in the Loggia. This is near the top of the city and is breathtaking. There are 2 cafes in the Loggia and we have gone to one several times for Montepulciano wine and cappuccinos and pastries (cornetto) in the morning! While I am completely relying on my friend William for Italian help, I am beginning to pick up how to say small phrases and everyone of the Italians is so kinda and willing to help! Across from here is the city hall which has amazing vernacular stonework and history. 
 Friends at the Loggia this morning!
I have found a fetish for doors here. There are so many different kinds and you can almost see a story within them. I know it sounds cheesy but there seems to be a love in the wood working and a history in their ruggedness. I have a dozen other wonderful door pictures that I will continue to post! I have found that it is in this kind of detail that I have fallen in love with CF!


More to come soon! Off to Arrezo tomorrow for antiques and jousting! All my love.
Could life get any better?

1 comment:

  1. Jackie!! This post CRACKED me up because you are loving all the things that made me fall in love with Europe! The markets were one of my favorite things in Italy and Spain because of all the AMAZING food (do yourself a favor and get some paraguayos). I also absolutely loved all the tiny streets AND developed an obsession for doors! How weird! Everyone made fun of me because I took so many door pictures and could not get enough of them! I had thought about creating a photo album just of European doors! We will have to compare! I am loving your posts and am so happy that you are loving Italy just as much as I thought you would! Please let's skype soon, I love and miss you mucho!

    ReplyDelete