Thursday, November 3, 2011

Montepulciano and Pienze

 I meant to post this before my Barcelona pictures...so here is goes. These are the sunset from the courtyard at my school, Santa Chiara. I loved the way that the mountains look red. I am so lucky that this is what I look at every evening.

 Cathedral in Montepulciano.

 Landscape in Pienze. We had a great lunch here where I had the best lasagna in Italy. Good wine, amazing conversation. Probably one I will never forget. To my brother Scott, we talked a lot about the military and the importance of respect for those who fight for us and how lucky we are to be able to do the things that we do. I miss you brother...


 Wine cellar in Montepulciano; the whole time that I was in this city, all I could think about was my dad and how much he loved this wine. I am blessed to have the opportunity to be here and try it first hand. 
 Smilja took us by a copper shop in Montepulicano where we met this sweet man. He is a third generation copper craftsman. He did the copper sphere on top of the Siena cathedral dome. He was such a wonderful italian man who actually reminded me a lot of my dad. He was a man that loved to work with his hands, and like my father he affirmed that he would never stop until the day he died. He made sure that we understood the craft of his work along with the history of his utensils. It was wonderful to be around someone who cared so much for their work. It is something that is often lost as we move forward in our professions. You could tell that everyday he woke up excited to do his work and it is what he loved. 

He made me a copper leaf with my initial on it. This day couldn't have made me smile more. Seriously, could life get better?

No comments:

Post a Comment