So I just got back from Munich...those pictures are to come soon but I have to get back to the adventures of SNM. After Florence, we took the Eurostar to Naples which was wonderful because I figured out how to ask the ticket lady to have us sit together. My next move was a much worse one. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to bring Megan to Positano by the Circumvesuviana tram. I took this tram with my friends when we travelled to Amalfi. I thought it was the only way to get to the coast. I was wrong. The girls successfully lugged their suitcases down the flight of stairs to wait for the tram and I was thinking...ok this shouldn't be too bad. Then the DUMPIEST tram (infinitively worse than the one I took with my friends) pulled up. All I could do is sigh as I watched my mother's eyes grow to the size of golfballs with terror. Swarms of people basically appeared out of nowhere; there was pushing and shoving, but we made it on the tram and actually got seats. Megan swung her little legs over her bag and I thought we had made it. Until the tram decided to break down on the tracks....AWESOME. We get off and walk across to the next platform. At this point the masses of people had basically doubled and all I could think was OH SHIT. Within 5 minutes the swarms are attempting to get on the tram. Sue is close by me but I see little Megan out of the corner of my eye caught behind a crowd. My OH SHIT turned to HOLY SHIT. I watched an Italian girl about my age elbow Megan and somehow mighty Meg got on the tram with us. We were packed like sardines, sweating. My mother looks at me like "I am going to kill you for thinking I could do this" and Megan looks at her like "Sue get over it". For lack of better words it was a nightmare. After thinking to myself "WHAT WAS I THINKING" and a quick cry, all we could do was laugh at our situation. We made it and a sweet man named Nino was waiting at the Sorrento train station with a "Fisher" sign and a smile. I could see the relief in M and S's eyes and all I could think was THANK GOD. Nino took us to our hotel in Positano in the rain and even sang happy birthday to me while M and S sat in the back seat finally relaxed except for the winding trek through the coastal hills.
An hour later we were in our warm room, once we made it down the 127 steps and watched a poor guy carry all 3 of our bags at one time down the stairs in front of us. This part of our trip I can't repeat. He may or may not be the strongest and nicest Italian man ever. Maybe after a couple of glasses of Montepulciano M,S, and I will tell you the story. Not only did he carry our bags down but somehow he figured out it was my birthday and brought us champagne and snacks.
This is where our day made a turn for the AMAZING. My 22nd birthday celebrations had begun with my two mommas, a birthday that I will never forget!Rainy view out of our hotel room
After a long train day, we decided that we needed a glass of wine and some food ASAP. We went to the first place that we saw at the top of the hill and stayed there for 5 hours. It was my most favorite afternoon of our whole trip.
The waiter, Alex, loved me. This was him singing to me after he gave me a huge kiss on the cheek.
After 2 bottles of wine and the majority of the restaurant had cleared out. We decided to move on to limoncello...many many shots of it.
And I decided that I wanted to make drinks with one of the waiters. He brought me behind the bar. Megan and Sue tried to join but tripped on their way.
Favorite picture. Alex had this light fixture that he really liked to take pictures through as a frame...I don't know...I love the mommas laughing
My shot concoction. 5 hours later and the best meal of the trip, it was about time for us to head home. M and S sang all the way home as I somehow navigated down the stairs to find Rosita waiting for us and smiling. I proceeded to tell her that my mothers where "LOCA". To sum it up, it was such a fun birthday. We laughed, we cried, we joked. I couldn't have asked for anything more.
My mom woke me up at 3 in the morning to look at the stars. They were so bright and clear that we knew we were going to wake up to a beautiful morning. Beautiful was an understatement. It was the most perfect day. As Megan says "we are truly truly blessed!" This is the morning view off of our balcony.
We had breakfast and then decided to wander around the town. Positano is essentially a stacked town in which you start at the top of the hill and wind your way down to the beach. There is no really city center but all along the main path are lines of shops selling linen, ceramics, and limoncello. It was a blast
The new plates Megan bought for her new house
Definition of Megan
My dos bitches
Looking up from the beach
Megan put her feet in the Mediterranean!
Lunch looking out onto the beach
Before our fancy dinner!
We found this sign on the way to dinner on Tuesday night. We miss you Gioia Mia! Megan talked a lot about how she wished she could have brought her mother here but we all felt her there smiling down on us and celebrating in her name!
Dinner in a beautiful outdoor courtyard where romantic music was playing out of the bushes. So romantic...and my dates were beautiful!
Love this Megan face.
On Wednesday morning, we woke up to another day of rain. I was so sad to leave because I had fallen in love with Positano but if there was any day to leave, it was that one. Alto, the owner of the car service that Nino worked for, came to pick us up to take us to the Naples train station so that we could catch our train to Rome. When we were about 10 minutes from the train station, Megan, very subtly asks, so..."Do you ever drive to Rome?" He informs us that he does it all the time and I think he very quickly got the hint when she follows her first question with "So do you think you could drive there now?" 5 minutes and a phone call later, we had passed the train station and were on our way to Rome in our own comfortable car. All I have to say is that I love that man Alto. We stopped at an Autogrill and got lunch on the way. S and M LOVED the Autogrill. I am pretty sure they could have stayed there for at least an hour.
A very relaxing couple of hours later, Alto had driven us from one hotel door to the next in Rome. BEST DECISION EVER.
Goodness, I love S and M. At that moment, I was smiling so much that I knew life couldn't get better.







No comments:
Post a Comment